Addressing the Time-Honored Debate of the Hallmark "Monotony"

There are two types of people in this world: "Hallmarkies" and "Hallmark Haters." 

        In my life, Hallmark movies are one of the most debated things. On my personal Twitter account I primarily follow "Hallmarkies," or fans of the Hallmark channel and the overall brand. The majority of "Hallmarkies" are diehard, perpetually devoted and loyal fans who never complain about anything the brand puts out - including the movies. Their enthusiasm for each new movie never diminishes even if it's plot is a cookie-cutter model of Hallmark's last ten movies' plots. The people that I do not follow are what I like to call, "Hallmark Haters." Like most haters and internet trolls, they are not afraid to make their hatred and negative opinions of disapproval known. They complain about every single new Hallmark movie that comes out. They intentionally look for something wrong with each one and then publicly criticize the movie to their couple hundred followers. Why they even have followers is beyond me, but misery likes company right? 

        Until I joined Twitter back in 2017 and virtually surrounded myself with "Hallmarkies,"  I had no idea how controversial Hallmark movies were. The specific subject of debate is often referred to as the "Hallmark monotony." People either love it or hate it, but besides myself, I don't know anyone that's in between. Yes, even I do occasionally get bored by some of the new movies Hallmark puts out because most of them are very similar, but isn't that expected in this age of binge-watching? People watch the same show over and over for days or weeks on end, then they finish that show, and they usually never come back to it unless it becomes their new all-time favorite because they are bored with it or sick of it by then. The thing about Hallmark movies is they are not a show. Hallmark has some movie series, but you can't binge them because new movie installments are only released periodically. Hallmark is a TV network so "binging" their programs isn't really an option, yet that is how they keep getting fans to come back. I will take a hiatus from watching Hallmark and binge a show on Netflix, but then you know what I miss immediately after I complete my binge? A good Hallmark movie. I miss the feel-good stories of Hallmark movies. Just like someone can only watch so many horror movies before they need a break, I sometimes need a break from the "Hallmark monotony," but I always return as loyal of a fan as I was before. We can make anything monotonous if we repeat it long enough, or in this case, binge it hard enough. Still, all Hallmark movies are technically classified as original. Each one has new characters and settings with at least a slightly different storyline. And a huge reason for the often cookie-cutter plot-lines is that people love them! Fans keep coming back to watch them so Hallmark keeps putting them out, which in my opinion, is just smart business. It shows how much Hallmark listens to their fans and values any kind of feedback from them whether direct or indirect through their viewing. In return, fans have made sure Hallmark has been ranked the #1 cable network the past couple years, during the Christmas season, for their "Countdown to Christmas" and "Miracles of Christmas" campaigns. The facts are undeniable, monotony is not always bad. Hallmark's monotony is all about love, happiness, and family. How can anyone permanently get sick of that? People need more of that in the real world and that's why they keep watching.

        While accusations about monotony fly, Hallmark dominates its genre of family-friendly, feel-good movies. Their competitors such as Lifetime (in certain seasons) and UPtv don't even compare. They're not brands; they're just cable networks. They don't have anywhere near the following of loyal and devoted fans that Hallmark has. Hallmark has become a family staple. They only keep expanding; with the release of Hallmark Drama in 2017, they now have three channels as part of their TV network. The phrase "What a Hallmark moment" is a commonly uttered idiom by people that don't even watch the Hallmark channels. Hallmark has even become a proprietary eponym like Kleenex or Chapstick. The word "Hallmark" itself has become an adjective for all things good, familial, and romantic. I have heard people say things like "That's so Hallmark" or "It was just like a Hallmark movie" after taking part in or witnessing something beautiful in life. I believe there is no denying that a business is not only successful, but dominating its industry when its brand name becomes a proprietary eponym.  

        Clearly, the "Hallmark monotony" is way more loved than it is hated and I think it should be that way. Hallmark gives people a positive outlet in which they can escape the stress and struggles of the world and reality. Hallmark Channel has been around since 2001, so at this point, no, not every movie has the most unique or creative storyline or plot, but every movie does have actors just as loyal to Hallmark as the fans, and above all, positive messages about hope, family, and love. Hallmark spreads hope, joy, and love, and provides a way for families made up of all ages to spend time with each other. If that is what monotony means or does then I definitely want more of it!    

Comments

  1. Don't they use the same base script for their stories? I mean it clearly works for them, so no hate, it's just interesting.

    I think I'm actually in-between hating and loving, I just don't care. I don't watch the movies (no issues personally, I just don't like romantic movies) and will occasionally poke fun at the monotony, but they keep people entertained and no ones shoving them down my throat so I don't care.

    Great article, you make a lot of good points

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment